Name:
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, United States

A library science student with a bit too much time on her hands.

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Group 5 Readings

I have to admit, I like the way bookstores have evolved over the last twenty years or so, and I wouldn't change them. I also think that it's a good idea to have some parts of libraries reflect the bookstore feel. While I wouldn't want a large, academic library (or even a small elementary school library) to make changes to reflect what bookstores do, I do think that the public library -- or perhaps sections thereof -- can do so to make people feel more comfortable about using them. I'd imagine a young adult section could do fairly well with making comfortable sitting spaces, displaying books facing out, and providing a place where users can buy food and hook up to wireless internet. Obviously, there are good and bad components to every plan, and one should not do this to libraries where entertainment isn't a large component of use. I think the librarians involved have to make the judgment call -- approachability with compromised authority, or respectibility with intimidation?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home